Monday, March 25, 2013

Bikes in the Fast Lane: 40 "Gas Stations" From Around The World plus 2 more

Bikes in the Fast Lane: 40 "Gas Stations" From Around The World plus 2 more

Link to Bikes in the Fast Lane - Daily Motorcycle News

40 "Gas Stations" From Around The World

Posted: 25 Mar 2013 09:00 AM PDT

Gas Station Benin
Gas Station Bolivia
In many parts of the world you can expect a certain standard when riding up with your motorcycle to fuel up. Gas stations are gas stations right? I mean, what's the difference between one or another; maybe the shop, or self-service, the brand. Maybe the gas station operator is better than the next one, cleaning the floor more regularly, friendly.

But if you travel around the world, you'll be amazed how gas stations differ. Many RTW motorcycle riders have found themselves in front of one of these "gas stations", but as the saying goes "any port in a storm". When you need to fill up your motorcycle, you need to fill up. Even when the gas station looks like one of these....

Here are 40 photos of gas stations from around the world, and I use the word gas station loosely.

...

France: 100 Year Celebration of the Motorcycle

Posted: 25 Mar 2013 05:00 AM PDT

Cany Barville 2013 BMW R69S (600cc) from 1967
Cany Barville 2013 Portuguese Casal from 1980, 50cc (Zundapp base)
Usually when I go out to make photos for an article, it involves packing up my motorcycle with all my cameras, computers, sleeping gear, toothbrush, etc, or it might involve planes, trains and automobiles. But whatever the mode of transportation, it'll mean it's going to take a while before I get there, and even longer before I get back. That's because I live in the real countryside, in a small (186 inhabitants) village in Upper Normandy. My next door neighbors are cows, and I mean the animals.

Once or twice I've had something as a source for an article close-by, usually 15 to 30 minutes ride from my house, and that made me happy, but last weekend on Sunday, in the closest town to me, Cany-Barville, was a exhibition called "100 Years of Motorcycles". Cany-Barville is almost at walking distance from my house, a little over 5 kilometers, so the expo got marked in big black marker in my agenda (something my iPad did not like), since it was going to be one I was not going to miss.

The only thing that troubled me, and I never got a response, was why "100 years". Motorcycles have existed for more than 100 years. Anyway, it didn't spoil my fun. So off I went to the exhibition. Now do remember, we're in the middle of "shit-kicker" country, so whatever it was going to be was small but done with gusto. ..........

...........Click on the headline to continue reading this story.......

...

Spain: GasGas and Ossa To Jointly Make Motorcycles

Posted: 24 Mar 2013 11:00 PM PDT

GasGas logo
OSSA logo
#Ossa #GasGas - Spanish GasGas motorcycles are famous the world over for their trial and off-road bikes, and Ossa, a company founded in 1924 (and stopped in 1982) by the former MotoGP star rider's grandfather, Sete Gibernau, are going to make motorcycle together.

Ossa was reborn a few years ago (2009) and has been hammering away trying to make their products sell in an increasingly competitive and difficult market, while GasGas had already been expanding with a factory in Brazil and more to come (talks are for another Latin-America country and one in Asia).

The joint factory for GasGas and Ossa will be using the current GasGas factory in Salt (Girona area) of Spain...........

...........Click on the headline to continue reading this story.......

...

No comments:

Post a Comment